HEAD OPTIMIST RACE COACH
Reports to: Director of Sailing/Head Sailing Coach
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club’s Junior Club has been introducing new sailors to the sport of
sailing for over 90 years. We are an active sailing club with many Olympians, excellent member
support, and a beautiful atmosphere to teach in. Looking forward to 2020, we will continue the
longstanding tradition of committed, excellent coaches.
We are currently looking to fill our Head Optimist Race Coach position for the 2020 season.
• Able to show and present experience in running a high-performance team and having
sailors perform at the top of the Championship fleet, as well as proven success at IODA
• Extensive experience fine-tuning the Optimist (boat set up, sail set up and sail trim).
• Is inclusive and driven to get the best out of each sailor on their team.
• Has an approach that is respectful and kind, while also bringing a high level of intensity and
focus to the team.
• Is a strong communicator with race team parents and the Youth Programs Manager at
• Has strong organizational and planning skills.
• Extensive sailing experience and achievement in the Optimist (as competitors themselves) is
• Current Instructor Certification or equivalent experience, with a minimum of 5 years of
Optimist coaching experience
• Current First Aid & CPR (or equivalent) certification
• Current Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card and Boat Safety course
• Ability to Travel: this position requires a high frequency of travel across Canada and the
HOURS OF WORK:
• This is a seasonal position between April 2020 – November 2020
• Full-Time Position– Available to work mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
WHAT WE OFFER
• An excellent work environment on beautiful Toronto Islands
• Competitive salaries commensurate with experience and qualifications
• Housing provided in a member’s home
To apply please submit a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Head
Optimist Race Coach” in the subject line of your application
Application Deadline: December 15, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The RCYC is committed to fair and equitable recruiting practices in accordance with the Accessibility for
Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA). Persons with disabilities are encouraged to come forward at any
stage of the recruitment process to request accommodations, if needed. Members of our team will consult
and create processes that provide individuals with disabilities the best possible recruitment experience.